Wrongful Death & Catastrophic Injury
For over 25 years, Amos, Dittrich & Ushana has been representing victims of catastrophic injuries in a range of personal injury matters. We also represent families who have lost a loved one in wrongful death cases. With offices in Salinas and San Jose, we are conveniently located to serve of the counties of Monterey, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Benito, and San Mateo in Northern California.
Sometimes personal injury claims involve injuries that are serious and life altering. These cases can be extremely complex and require an attorney with a thorough understanding of the underlying medical and legal issues involved. Our attorneys are experienced with handling personal injury claims involving these and other serious injuries:
- Traumatic Brain Injury - Traumatic brain injury (TBI) can occur when a sudden physical impact or shaking damages the brain, and range from minor concussions to injuries causing permanent vegetative state or coma. Common causes of TBI include vehicle accidents, falls, and sports injuries.
- Spinal Cord Injury - Spinal cord injury (SCI) can occur when a traumatic force tears or bruises the spinal cord. Severe SCIs result in loss of feeling and functionality of the limbs, and in some cases, acute respiratory and breathing problems. The most serious SCIs may lead to paralysis. SCIs often require constant care and treatment, which many families cannot afford. We can help you obtain legal damages to pay for these costs.
- Severe Burns - Severe burns are among the most painful and debilitating injuries that a person can sustain. Treatment for severe burns often involves extended hospital stays, rehabilitation, and reconstructive surgery. If you or a loved one has suffered severe burns as the result of another's negligence or wrongful act, we will work with you to evaluate your case, bringing in experts if necessary who can accurately assess your current and future damages.
If you or someone in your family has suffered a serious injury, it is important to speak with experienced lawyers as soon as possible, as California has strict time limits for bringing these claims. The attorneys at Amos, Dittrich & Ushana have significant experience handling catastrophic personal injury claims, and provide responsive and compassionate representation.
Amos, Dittrich & Ushana has helped many grieving families in Salinas and San Jose recover money damages in wrongful death actions. Losing a loved one is a horrific experience, and while dealing with the pain of loss, family members often face new financial worries that only add to their suffering. Our attorneys are here to help you handle any legal issues related to the wrongful death of a family member so that you can focus on recovering emotionally.
A wrongful death claim arises when a person's death is caused by the negligence, recklessness, or wrongful acts of another. California law allows family members, including surviving spouses, domestic partners, and children, to bring an action against the responsible party to recover damages that they have personally suffered as a result of the loss. If your loved one's death resulted from a work-related incident, you may also be entitled to death benefits under California's workers' compensation system. We can help you file these claims as well.
Damages that you may recover in a wrongful death claim include, but are not limited to:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of future earnings the deceased would have provided for the surviving family members
- Lost pensions or retirement benefits
- Loss of companionship, love, comfort, care, protection, and moral support
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of training and guidance for children
- Mental anguish and suffering
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or wrongful act of another it is important to seek immediate legal representation. California's statute of limitations limits the amount of time a plaintiff can bring most claims to within two years of the date of death; otherwise, your claim may be barred by statute, and you will lose the opportunity to recover for your losses.
Seek Experienced, Compassionate Representation
Our dedicated personal injury lawyers have extensive experience representing clients in claims involving catastrophic injuries and wrongful death actions. If you or a family member has suffered a serious injury or been killed in an accident, please contact Amos, Dittrich & Ushana for a free initial consultation. We work tirelessly to obtain maximum compensation for our clients. Se habla español.